Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My Month In Games: February 2014

 Strider - PSN


Talk about two great tastes that taste great together!  I have long been a fan of Capcom's Strider series (never mind the NES version or the horrible Genesis-era sequel Strider Returns), and when I heard that the series was being rebooted and would feature non-linear, Metroidvania-style gameplay I was over the moon!  This is a very solid addition to the Strider franchise and I give kudos to Double Helix games for taking the series in a most enjoyable direction and for not FUCKING IT UP.  If you like the stylish, sword slinging action of Strider and the platforming, exploration, and RPG elements of Metroidvania-style games then this is a no brainer.  Two minor points of criticism: one, the voice acting is a little shaky and melodramatic at times, and two, the controls can be janky here and there.  Most of the control issues I experienced related to climbing up and jumping from wall to wall.  Really, I just wish that some of the jumping and platforming were a bit smoother.  Still, I stress that these are minor issues that don't really subtract from the overall experience, and at $15 you really shouldn't pass this one up..  Bravo, Double Helix!


Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment